Monday, August 23, 2010

I TRI-ed!!

According to Wikipedia, Euphoria is medically recognized as a mental/emotional state defined as a profound sense of well-being. Technically, euphoria is an affect, but the term is often colloquially used to define emotion as an intense state of transcendent happiness combined with an overwhelming sense of contentment...Euphoria is generally considered to be an exaggerated physical and psychological state, sometimes induced by the use of psychoactive drugs and not typically achieved during the course of normal human experience. However, some natural behaviors,... such as the triumph of an athlete, can induce brief states of euphoria.

Yesterday morning, I experienced euphoria. Here's how you can achieve it too:

First, do something that you don't think that you can. Preferably in an awe-inspiring setting. For me, I chose a triathlon that started with an early morning swim in Lake Geneva with the beautiful French Alps in the distance.
The start 

Second, continue onto something where you are truly unsure of your abilities, so when you do complete it, you will be in a state of shock. My race continued through the hilly roads of Lausanne, on a bike.
I felt and looked like a little kid on a Big Wheel compared to all the professional bikers 

Then, end with something you are confident in so you are ensured of completing your goal, like a flat 5km run. 

Finally, just when you are about to complete this endeavor, euphoria should kick in. I felt a wave of emotion overcome me when I was running down the final stretch to finish the race and couldn't help but throw my arms into the air, laugh, shout out a big "Whoo!" and practically hug the race volunteers when I crossed the line.

And of course, celebrate properly to continue this sense of well-being :)

1 comment:

  1. "Wooooohooooooooooooooo!" is right!!
    Sooo insanely awesome.
    WAY TO GO YOU :)
    Wow!!

    ReplyDelete